Monday, January 07, 2008

My Favourite Pasta.


2008 has begun very hot and fine for us. Not so for some of my Australian friends with storms and floods . Also we see on TV some USA states are having heavy snow storms. So I better not complain of having to work in the heat.I do come in ( from Kiwifruit thinning ) feeling very tired and don't dare sit down but rather go straight to making dinner while I'm still standing. At a loss as to what to make tonight I decided to make my favourite pasta.
It doesn't have another name , but is very versatile. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.Broccoli is good but tonight as we had fresh peas and green beans straight from our garden I used those.The pesto we use we also make ourselves when the basil is ready and freeze jars and jars of it - enough to last all year. commercial pesto would be fine but the consistency varies so don't make it all too runny. Right here's the recipe.
Ali's Favourite Pasta. ( serves 4 )
1 whole packet ( 500 gms ) of large spiral pasta.
4 slices of bacon
1 med head of broccoli ( in florets )
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup firm rich pesto ( or similar )
Method:
1. Put a very large pot of water to boil.
2. Empty the pasta in when water is on a rolling boil and time it for 8 mins.( stirring occasionally )
3. While that is cooking steam or microwave the green veges, to how you like them.
4.At the same time microwave between paper towels ( or fry ) the bacon till crisp.
5. Mix the lemon juice and oil, and balsamic together ready to pour on.
6.When the pasta is cooked drain it then mix in the pesto while the pasta is still hot to distribute it. Then mix in the other liquid and the veges. Cut or crumble in the bacon.
Serve in deep bowls, add ground Black pepper to your taste. ( I added some sliced black olives too ) Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your pasta looks yummy. I think I might make it soon. Love bacon all nice and crispy with pasta and lots of cheese.
Cheers for now,
Jenny

Joyce said...

Sounds yummy. Thanks.

loulee said...

Happy New Year.

Thanks for the recipe, sounds delish I'll give it a try soon.

meggie said...

That sounds like my kind of dish! I love pasta, but Gom is not keen. Must try your recipe.

molly said...

Sounds like a delicious recipe, and easy too! I love macadamia nuts---never had them with chocolate---only the salted variety. Can't imagine having my own crop! I'd probably gorge myself.....
I've done scrap quilts with those circles, but larger and then cutting them in quarters and mixing them up.
I'll have to adopt your "best use of cutting" technique. It sure would speed things up when I get the urge to make something scrappy!

Good luck, Ali, in the new Year. I always enjoy your posts and hearing about life "down under."
And I always appreciate your insights when you comment on my blog....Cheers!

Unknown said...

Uhmmmm, looks good.

Suzi-k said...

Yum. Happy New Year Ali, hope it brings all the good stuff you hope for, and more! Sounds like you are working seriously hard at this time of the year! Avos are scarce here at the moment, they are about R12.50 each (around US$ 1.90) which is a shame, because after 53 years of thinking they are the most disgusting thing on the planet, I have suddenly developed a taste for them!

Ali Honey said...

Thanks all of you for your comments. On days when nobody comments I feel deflated. That's not why I'm writing this so I don't know why it has that influence on me. So please know that by laeving comments you are giving me a boost - sometimes on days when I really need the human contact..... it can be lonely here working away with the only vines for company!