Many of my fellow quilters from our club are off at Papamoa at Retreat. As I am not, I am allowing myself almost all day today and yesterday and maybe tomorrow to sew ...make parts for my new Garden Hex idea. The more I do the more ideas keep springing to mind. That's good! Already my original vision has morphed into something else.
The first flower hex I made I backed with a green fabric...from there I moved to backing it with its own fabric( as in poppies above ) . I have made various blocks that might give the impression of being stems and leaves by joining strips. I will be doing both those ideas. I will also be making joined fabric flower hex, that way when I haven't enough of a fabric I can use what I have.
What I really like about this is when I lay out the hex if one really doesn't look right it can be removed and become a mug coaster or jug cover. It's far too soon yet to tell which are keepers and which aren't.
I did discover there are very few leaf / foliage fabrics available in the shops at the moment.( I have looked on line at my 4 favourite shops too ) I have more in my cupboard...mainly from the bias strip stems I made for my big Kim McClean quilt.
I will be on the look out for more florals ( real flowers ) and more green vegetation fabrics.
These are unsewn ones with joined flower and greenery.
Any way I am on a roll with this project.
Here is my dehydrating experiment before and after.
Kiwifruit; feijoas ; banana; persimmon and apples.
Apples are the easiest and stick to the trays less.
All are a success .
I have to show you this. Grandson in his buggy early in the morning wearing his new blue v neck cardigan, tucked under his green blanket. Both made by me.