Monday, February 19, 2018

Trying to be( a ) Patient.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
 Some things I can do left handed but many things I can't. Quite a lot of things need both hands.
 I can sew machine zigzag okay cause there is no precision needed and I cut the towel up earlier last week. I am making baby wipes.
 When I came home after surgery last Wednesday this is how I looked.
 I had an ugly  fast growing growth  ( possibly squamous cell carcinoma  ) ( result not back from path lab yet ) on my
right arm just above where the wrist bends. It grew in size while I kept getting referred to someone else then someone else......

 If you are squeamish stop reading / looking right now.


 Today I have been back to have it redressed and it's doing well.
 To make sure it was all removed a cm all round of clear skin had to be taken away.
 A full depth graft was taken from under my upper right arm....very good stretchy skin........ first use I have had for that sagging flesh!

  When the nurse had it exposed she was taking a photo of its progress so I asked to take one with my phone.
 This is what it looks like.
 An insect with too many legs?  

My upper arm just has a thin plaster across the stitches now and it has a lovely bruise running from the bottom of it. Stitches still in.

 I asked today if it was alright to type and write for a short while - yes. When the sling gets too sweaty ( most of the time ) rest your arm against your upper body if sitting down. and at night put a pillow under it.
 Definitely don't get it wet, don't chop or twist your wrist or lift anything heavier than a cup. Don't go near the orchard or garden ! 
 It will all take a while to heal and be very vulnerable to bumps so stay away from crowds.
 I will try and obey orders and be a good patient....I don't want the graft to fail or have to be redone.

8 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Ouch..... I hope it's all OK .....

Mary said...

Best wishes for a full, fast recovery dear - it does look bad now, but thankfully having it attended to will mean concerns will be over once you get your results, then you will be happy. Do take care and following the instructions - and rest up as much as possible to help the healing - you deserve it!

Will keep you in my thoughts - keep us updated.

Get well hugs - Mary

Ali Honey said...

Thanks Chooky and Mary. it's getting better every day.

kiwikid said...

I hope you have a quick recovery, nothing worse that not being able to use your hand. Hope the sling is not too uncomfortable in the humid weather you have been having.

Suzy said...

I'm hoping you have a fast recovery. Hope you didn't have any problems with Cyclone Gita

Rose Marie said...

Oh my .... hope all goes well .... take care of yourself!

Diane-crewe said...

looks as if it is healing well ... DO AS YOU ARE TOLD and (hopefully) all will be well x Remember they call you a PATIENT for a reason xx

Mystic Quilter said...

Frustrating as it is you will have to follow doctor's orders, it would be a catastrophe if you did any damage. I hope it heals quickly and I guess you're now waiting for the results, wishing you the best.