Sunday, June 18, 2006

Walking Foot.


I had been so busy practising with my Stitch Regulator doing free motion quilting I had not taken the time to explore the walking foot which also came with my new Bernina. I have never had a walking foot before so am absolutely rapt with the wonderful job I was able to do just stitching in the ditch.I was able to go dead slow and get it exactly where I wanted each stitch.Wow! I just loved using it! There was none of that slighty out of control feeling you get when doing free motion. Both have their place I'm sure. So I am very happy with the way my tiny quilt turned out.The only hand sewn bit is the final binding on the back and it is very soft and bouncy.
So that is one side of my urge to quilt taken care of for now ....but still my artistic side is saying hey lets go and break all the rules and create an original work of art. So while I complete the other projects I am working on my mind can wander to just what that next project might be. I can paint with paint, I can make prints, so I am sure I can tackle an art quilt or object. I think I will start by checking out all the quilters work that I really admire and decide why I like their work as a starting point. Why do Iwant to do it...well I'm not so sure I need to know that. Thinking Thinking....I just need to create ...that's enough to start with!

7 comments:

Helen said...

that's very sweet, and lovely for such a good cause. The quilting looks good.

Fiona said...

Very precise - I'll look forward to your creative quilt.

KC Quilter said...

The walking foot is one of my most favorite of all sewing equipment!!! I'm like you, I like the precision I can get on utility quilting with it. Nice job on your blue and white!

Deb Hardman said...

It looks lovely Ali. What a sad thing, but how sweet.

You did a nice job with the ITD quilting. I seldom even use my walking foot, because I find free motion so much more fun & relaxing. I don't like a stitch regulator either, they make me tense! I'd rather control the speed myself (maybe I'm a control freak & just didn't realize it?)

Unknown said...

that little blue quilt looks so soft and snuggly - just the job for its purpose - walking feet truly are a gift from the gods and not just for quilting - they're magic for stitching anything slippery too

Nellie's Needles said...

It's a wonderful gesture of kindness to make the quilts for a mother whose lost her baby. Acknowledgement that the baby had existed is so important to her.

May I suggest "layered curves" for your next project. It really is easy and the results are gratifying. It goes so quickly that it's almost like a warm-up for a more ambitious project. The important thing is to actually get something actually going.

Judy said...

Aren't walking feet great! They come in super handy when you are doing any quilting that can be done with a foot. I find them super helpful when doing even curved lines on the borders. Keeps everything evenly fed and no puckers at all!!

How are you liking the stitch regulator? The quilt turned out very nicely. Great Job!!