Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gifts that Give Lasting Pleasure.


I do not agree with or encourage the new type of Commercial Christmas. I love it when folk spend time ( not money ) making something for you to keep and treasure ( made for you with their own hands and precious time ). Some young adults in our family have little spare cash and so it is wonderful when they make some simple gifts. My elder son's partner makes jewellery which she sells and so I received a new necklace to wear.
I really think it is valuable to encourage children to make cards , wrapping paper and simple gifts from a young age...with help at first if they need it. Maybe it is just the school teacher in me ??? Our neighbours' girls made little gingerbread Christmas cookies which they took around to those living nearby.
Other clever people I know also make their own gifts, my friend Sooziii in Australia sent me a wee decorated and named stocking with 6 little white snow flake tree decorations and a beaded scissor name bangle. She did not know that DH had given me a good pair of fabric scissors so it had an immediate home. Like Dale I think books are wonderful gifts, and only some of those can be homemade. They give lasting pleasure and also can be lent on to friends and family. Home made Christmas cakes, jams, pickles and sweet treats also make very acceptable gifts and because they get consumed can be done time and again. Also things you have grown are often much appreciated. We tend to give fruit, nuts and veges we have grown. Home raised seedlings are another suitable thing for kids to grow themselves to give.
I think I might start on some homemade gifts really early this year and have some on hand so there is no last minute rush. We'll see. I'll keep you posted on that one. Understandably I have had very little sewing time in the last week That can wait.
Today with family returned home it was back to the kiwifruit vines for us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed making homemade gifts this year and on the whole have received a pretty favourable reaction - however whizzing along with the flames coming out of the back of my sewing machine so to speak I echo the sentiment about starting a bit earlier for next year - happy new year to you and yours Ali :o)

Judy said...

Sounds like a good plan to me. I plan to start very early this next year and make most of mine too!

Shirley Goodwin said...

I agree with you on this one, Ali.

Have a wonderful New Year.

Suzi-k said...

yup, homemade is best if you have time, much more personal. Wow, 39 years! CONGRATULATIONS and may you have many more happy ones together!