Friday, July 06, 2007

Rather Moist.



























Like many places in the world this week, New Zealand has been getting lots of rain.
For us that was 170 mls or 6.77 inches in the last 7 days.
Trees and shrubs with evergreen leaves are washed very clean; deciduous ones are dank and smelly everywhere underfoot.This morning is just dull overcast and dreary, so I picked up my camera and went seeking out spots of colour. These are some I found in my garden. Mentioning garden - I need to get out there - I have lots to clean up. I am clearing a patch to extend some decking over when Spring and Summer arrive.
Deciding what flowers or leaves or berries to pick for the house gets tricky too. I love fresh flowers in my house, and always try to have some there for their perfume and to please the eye. I found 5 late yellow roses for a blue vase - poor dears won't last long I know, and I think I have sucked all their smell away as I bend to breathe it in every time I pass them.

11 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

I need to tidy up the garden too, but its so darn cold. I have a plant like the top one. It hasn't done much in the last two years although its still alive.

Fiona said...

At least the rain makes the NZ foliage look tropical.

Helen said...

Thanks for the cheering plants. It has been SO grey this week! I am consoling myself with the fact that at least I don't have to do lunchtime duty out there this week (or next.)

Helen said...

Ali

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. You have come up as "no reply" so I can't email you back directly to say:

"Nice pun!

Yes, mugs DO make much more sense, especially when you have a drink in one hand and a yummy piece of food in the other! remeber those tea parties with a cup and saucer AND plate? I never figured out what I was supposed to do with the plate when I took a sip of tea."

Tazzie said...

Hi Ali! I always want to reply to your lovely comments, but don't know your email address, so thought I'd send you a comment! Thank you for your congratulations, we're all on such a high right now!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Ali Honey said...

Thanks for your comments. I don't know when my email address disappeared from my profile but I have just been in a put it back. I like getting the replies here anyway, so now there is a choice again. Cheers!

riseoutofme said...

Your photos cheered me .. thanks for that ..

If its any consolation, its been raining here in this part of the northern hemisphere since early June ... and its supposed to be summer ...

meggie said...

I loved seeing all your lovely plant life. It looks so healthy & pretty.

Deb Hardman said...

Your flowers are still lovely.

I am blown away by your I Spy quilt. Wow! What a lot of work, & this isn't the 1st! Amazing!

Françoise said...

Beautiful plants.
It has been raining a lot here too and it's cold, although it's supposed to be summer now!
Today should be sunny though... A good day for working in the garden.

Shirley Goodwin said...

We've even been getting some rain down south. No snow though!