Sunday, July 22, 2007

Well That Didn't Work!







It can't have been a bright idea to enlist some help to answer those questions; cause it certainly didn't work. I feel quite let down as I wasn't asking for myself I was asking for someone who genuinely wanted some information. Oh well. I'm sorry Georganna you will only get a little advice from me and some from Meggie ( who never fails in her support - thanks Meggie )



So South Island.



Meggie likes Christchurch, so do I. Also Queenstown and most of the places I went on holiday too ( refer previous blogs ). If you like isolated very natural beaches the Catlins area ( very southern South Island ) is like that.( see 3 photos here ) Be aware that the West Coast beaches are all black ironsand in both islands. The white sand occurs more on the northern facing beaches. ( that's a generalisation ) On the West Coast South Island the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes at Punakiki are quite different and spectacular. Most of the Southern Lakes are truly beautiful. As are the mountains and glaciers. ( oh so much to see ).
North Island. My favourite city is Wellington despite its reputation for windy weather. It has many faces and on a sunny day is hard to beat. It has lots to do and see and is a good walking city with beautiful harbour views.
For beaches I would have to pick our own Bay of Plenty beaches and those on the Coromandel Peninsula especially Hahei. ( Hot Water beach is also different but dangerously rough )The red Pohutukawa or New Zealand Christmas Trees should be flowering when you are here ) Also Northland has some lovely beaches and the area around Pahia is lovely.
Rotorua is interesting but rather commercial, so be careful to get the best deal. I love the sulphur smell there (not everyone does ) and the geysers, mudpools and springs are worth seeing.
Waitomo Caves are amazing so try and see them. They have boat trips in the caves so you may view the glow worms and the limestone( stalactites and stalagmites ) formations are spectacular.
My only other advice would be to spend time in fewer areas and have a good look. Too many visitors rush to see it all - which isn't possible - and spend too much of their time travelling. ( Hope that is a bit of a quide. )
( quilt shops etc next post ).

9 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

Couldn't help there Ali. But No1Son has migrated to Christchurch and he says it is a very beautiful city. Especially along by the river. He likes the hot springs.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry, Ali! I had meant to come back to that and obviously forgot! Is it too late?
My fav. places are Wanaka, Te Anau, a fabulous B and B on the edge of Lake Rotorua at Ngongotaha called Waiteti Lodge (you MUST book Room 1 - views over lake and clerestory window through which you can see the stars from bed, Huka Falls. Favourite cities are Wellington and Christchurch. When I think of NZ, I think of great food (world's best cafes and restaurants), superb art galleries and theatre.No 1 MUST see is HAmilton Gardens - one the best gardens in the world.
I hope this isn't too late.

Ali Honey said...

Thanks girls! - of course it's not too late. I knew I would overlook real gems - Huka Falls of course and I guess Lake Taupo. Yes Hamilton Gardens are great too......they are not going to have enough time are they!!! I don't know about Waiteti Lodge - have to check that out....not far from here really - less than an hour.
FOOD - now that needs a whole complete blog!

Unknown said...

You pictures are beautiful Ali - my parents in law had a special 'retirement' one-off holiday to New Zealand about 8 or 9 years ago and totally fell in love with the place - they travel widely and are quiet people who don't often enthuse about a place but they would love to return to NZ. Sadly I think it would be a while before we ever got the chance to go though. Please keep the pictures coming - it makes up for not being able to afford the trip :o)

Harmany Quilting said...

I spent nine months in New Zealand 20 years ago. Mt Cook and Taranaki and Milford Sound. It was all beautiful. Where to start? Rotorua was spooky with the steam coming out of roads - I didn't do the touristy stuff like tours as I didn't have very much money. Hitched mostly and ended up working with Kiwi Fruit to make some money. I now know how to do everything to kiwifruit. Everything will be amazing for them - especially the people. I was ashamed to be Australian as I found New Zealanders to be the most hospitable and generous people.

meggie said...

You are right Ali, there is so much to see! There are Glowworm caves on the West Coast of the South Island too, & a Jade factory. Shanty Town is a nice little place too. The West Coast of the South Island is very wet -rains a LOT. And those West Coast beaches are very rough! The Pancake Rocks are well worth a visit. NZ is just so packed with places of interest, it is hard to plan a short trip!

Georganna said...

Wow! You ladies are amazing. And never too late. Thanks so much. Sounds like Huka Falls and Hamilton Gardens get added to the growing list as well as Shanty Town. How could one resist a town with that name? Thank you all (especially Ali). Now back to the maps...Georganna

molly said...

Your pictures and descriptions make me want to visit too! I agree, though I've never been there, that your friend should limit the places she visits and explore them thoroughly. It's amazing to me how people who visit Ireland climb on a bus and whizz around the country in five days or less, and then claim to have "seen" so much! It can't be done. Better to get on a bicycle, or put on your hiking boots and concentrate on a much smaller area....

Shirley Goodwin said...

Oh, I would have answered, Ali, but I'm a bit preoccupied at present I'm afraid.