Sunday, August 05, 2007

All the Parts.


I'm taking a rest from fruit and nuts, cause it's Sunday and I want time out. Just one photo today to show where I am at with the Blue Hexagon Quilt.That's the first 17 rows of it folded at the back, so it already a quilt but not yet to the required size.
I had a cutting session and now have all parts assembled ready to sew! The various piles show the stages the last parts have to go through. On the left at the back is a pile of 14 sewn hex. In front of that are 9 pinned hex ready to sew. In front of that is a small pile of 3 sewn and quilted. On the right are 4 piles of 10 and 10 and 10 and 6 ( 36 ) with just a pin holding the 3 parts together ready to pin the edging over. So that makes a total of 62 more hex to get sewn into 4 more strips the attached to the other rows. (that last part takes the longest.) Having got them all assembled like that makes me know I can complete it in time.
Forest Jane asked how big it was going to be. 21 rows long by 16 and 15 wide.( the edge isn't a straight line cause of how the hex fit together ) A grand total of 325 individual hexagons. I will tell the size in inches when I measure it up for the form for the Exhibition. I have to measure all my entries.( 3 quilts and a bag ), and make a couple of labels too.
PS. Georganna I haven't forgotten about the Quilt Shops to visit in NZ....will tell you soon.

6 comments:

meggie said...

There is certainly a lot of work in that hexagon quilt Ali! It is lovely though, so worth the effort.

Rose Marie said...

These quilts are so adorable!

Harmany Quilting said...

Love your hexagons Ali. I made your cake and put in pecans - the sweeties ate it in a day. it was delicious and QUICK. Thankyou.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

This is going to be a super interesting quilt, definately an heirloom of the future!

Unknown said...

This looks so great, it must be a lot of work, choosing the fabric and cutting it the right way to show off the animals and etc. but I am sure it is well worth it.

Georganna said...

Ali, you are a dream come true! All the recommended shops are going on the "must stop" list-This trip is going to be a great one if even some Kiwi's are as gracious as you.