Thursday, September 27, 2007

You Know those Olives Stuffed with Pimentos.....






Well that's what my back tooth now looks like....not olive green you understand but it certainly looks stuffed with something ( a dressing cover ) the colour of these words!
Yes, the day has improved greatly and I am now un- numb again. It could have been worse - I survived and behaved reasonably well and only levitated once (beside trembling a lot.) Kind dentist man put a temp pollifiller in the second broken tooth and said it was even more in need of saving than # 1 tooth. That will be $370 please.
Right; on to something pleasant now.

2 of today's photos show the inside and outside of my latest Hexagon creation. A needle case. Using a 5" hexagon I made it by the same method as before( in the quilts ), and sewed the 2 together along just one side to form the spine. Then I cut out 2 side by side felt hexagons with a joining strip between them. I machine stitched the felt to the covers and attached a dome for closure and I have a wee gift for someone. Do you see that wicker basket - its almost as old as me. I got it one Christmas when I was a wee girl and still have it. I keep all my old sewing bits and pieces like hooks and domes and old bias tape and things I rarely use any more in it.
Lastly something else in the garden that looks bright and the bees love. It is a small Rata bush...it's related to the New Zealand Pohutukawa( Christmas tree ) same family in fact.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

What a great idea to use the hexagons to make a needlecase, it gives a really nice 'finished' look.

molly said...

Lovely little gift....what is a dome? The flowering bush is beautiful.

meggie said...

Lovely little gift you made.
Sorry to read of the tooth ordeal. How well I know the levitations!!
Beautiful Rata!

Unknown said...

This is something that I have to do, I don´t have a needlecase but I desperately need one, this seems to take little time to do.

Birdydownunder said...

hope the tooth problems go away quickly....at that price they need to! love the needle case, what a clever idea.

Ali Honey said...

Molly you probably more correctly call domes "press studs," or "snap fasteners." ( Don't know where the term dome came from - a silly name for it; I agree )

Yes,it really is very quickly and simply made, so if you haven't tried this method the needlecase is a good little project to have a practise on.

Val said...

Like the coloured writing. It's given me an idea for a tiny quilt picture. Thank you!