Last Thursday I collected the fabric for the final wide border around my quilt. I got 2.5 metres as I wanted to cut the outside border lengthwise in single strips with no stretch. I will also use some of it for the binding. That will leave quite a bit over but that will get used sometime else. Friday I washed the fabric and got it dry by ironing and hanging near the fire, then I completed sewing on the binding by lunchtime. That meant I was able to take it up the road to Jenny at Stitchworks to discuss the quilting of it. Yeah! ( she stocks wide batting and very wide backing fabrics)So now I just need to be patient for maybe 2 months till it comes back.
On Saturday quite a good number of ladies from my P & Q group ( here are just 2 of them in the photo )turned out to spend the day either working on their own projects or making tiny quilts for donation to SANDS. (Stillborn and Newborn Death Support ). They put the quilts with other things called Moses Baskets.We had a fun day sewing, talking, eating and generally being together encouraging each other's efforts. Later 7 of us went out for an evening meal. I have almost completed 2 small quilts for SANDS - pale blue being the main colour in these 2 as I had it spare and it is a lovely soft colour. (photo )They are relatively quick to complete ( mine being 20" square )and a good way to try and use up small fabric scraps. I am going to continue to make these and to complete anything else that calls me from my sewing cupboard. I don't really have many things to finish but will check and see. Good excuse to go and rummage around looking at fabric and the odd magazine in there . LOL.