Monday, September 27, 2010

There was Shopping too!

I knew exactly what I needed to buy. Fabric in black and white and some more bright batiks.
The Merchant's mall downstairs was bright and tempting.

Milton Wright's bulk batiks always make a fabulous rainbow display. He is such a generous person to our group.
Some more of the quilts.

Gladys made the Maori panel on the left from the book by Gail Lawther - Glimpses of New Zealand. It is a fabulous book, $38 available from  http://www.kiwiquilts.co.nz/  

There were about 6 different quilts featuring lovely NZ fabrics.

Robyn's bright daisy quilt beautifully quilted on her long arm  quilter.

The colours in the twisted bargello were awesome.



This is the area with all the challenge entries. It created a lot of interest. Some of the public ( not the entrants ) got very heated about the judge's comments so Viv took them down. Mine was not amongst the winners. My favourite got 2nd so I was glad about that.

This was Karen's winning entry.
Julia's 2nd placing. ( fabulous colours and bead work )

Bev was robbed of a place as the judge didn't like the background. ( they were very realistic orchids with dangling leaves.

There is lots more I could say about the challenge; the pros and cons; but I won't.
 All in all it was a great exhibition and the tidying up was rapid with plenty of helpers.
 I do have more quilt photos but you might be getting tired of them now and I have shown the ones that appealed to me.
Today it is back to normal duties for me, washing cause it is fine and later orchard work continues and there is still plenty to clean up after such a stormy week.
I almost forgot to say how interesting it was to have several people hunt me out to say they read my blog and wanted to meet me. Very encouraging...it was lovely to meet you ladies.

6 comments:

molly said...

The challenge quilts are really interesting---what was the theme?

carole brungar said...

A lovely exhibition, thanks for letting me visit!!

Joyce said...

Beautiful quilt show and I love those fabrics.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Now I want to know what sort of comments got everyone heated!

Ali Honey said...

Hi Molly, The theme was "Show Us your Curves Ladies." Everyone had to use the piece of fabric supplied; use curves and have at least one edge curved; be not more than a metre in any direction etc.

Strangely none of the entries that had ladies with curves were placed.

Meggie said...

Lovely to see all those quilts. I love the different uses of that Coleus Fabric.
I am so glad you shared it all with us.