Monday, January 26, 2015

Is that Patchwork?

It's along time since I put any patchwork or quilting content on this blog. I just looked back and it was November the 18th the last time I mentioned what I was sewing. Yesterday and the previous Sunday afternoon I gave myself sewing time! 
 With the heat we have been having I didn't feel like sitting inside sewing for some weeks  ( and my gear was all in the cupboard ) but now that I have all my gear back on the table and have made some progress the desire to complete this quilt has returned.
" What are you making?" A the casual question as a certain person walked by. My cheeky reply was, "bunting," as I held up the string piecing of these little squares.
 It was a little more obvious when I laid them on the table once some were joined.
I have made all the horizontal sashing strips and joined the flower blocks. 

I have made longer  vertical sashing and joined row 1 and 2 and also 3 and 4.
 Here they are on my design wall ( which is really laying on the family room floor.)
Next I have to make more vertical sashing to join 5 and 6 then a row for down each edge , then a row for top and bottom. ( so that is quite a bit of joining still )
 Some of you (Pip ) will know how far I have got with this.

****
 It is so dry now we are spending a lot of time watering. We are also spending a lot of time harvesting vegetables. The over done items are being fed to the neighbour's pig Penelope.
 Yesterday R picked big red tomatoes, courgettes and beans. I picked scarlet runners, little yellow tomatoes ( lots ) 2 cucumbers and some broccoli. I also picked strawberries and some small blueberries. Birds are eating the plums which are colouring but not really ready.  My lovely little lettuces are now finished and the next lot not quite ready. ( it's probably too hot for lettuces to hold for long before shooting to seed.)
 I was able to pick some fresh flowers for the dining-room this morning. Picking flowers has to be a favourite thing for me. Just as well as I spend enough time tending them.
 Calla lilies which last well in water, alstromeria, pink roses - appleblossom and pink sparrieshoop.
 Today is a public holiday ( Anniversary weekend for Northland, Auckland and BOP. )
 I think it is also Australia Day for my Aussie Friends . Happy Australia Day!
 I might even give myself some more sewing time......

10 comments:

Deb said...

Ali, your quilt is gorgeous. Have you machine or hand appliqued? Such a cool pattern. Who is the designer?
It has been so hot hasn't it, the thought of doing lots of things is very off putting in the heat.

loulee said...

Your quilt top is looking lovely. Such bright pretty colours.
Your veg crop sounds delicious too.

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

That's going to be a stunning quilt. It's hard to get back into the swing of it after taking a break isn't it? We're having to water too, Joe's been putting together some alkethene pipe around the beds in the garden, dropped a submersible pump into our dam/pond and we're using that water, save the tank water. We're harvesting heaps too, need to think about some chutneys, the goats are doing well with the stuff past it's best. I've found it's a really bad year for insects too, bloody things !!

Mary Bolton said...

That's a beautiful quilt in progress! I am so jealous of your hot weather. Here in central Massachusetts we are getting ready for a blizzard! Threading my needles in case the electricity goes off.

Pip said...

I really love how your Flower Garden quilt is evolving and love all the lovely blues in it, getting close to the finish now.

Jennifer said...

Your quilt is coming along beautifully! Northland anniversary? My maternal grandmother was born in Aratapu, in Northland.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh Ali, your quilt is looking beautiful. I especially love all the blues!

Janice said...

Your quilt is stunning. You must feel good now that it is coming together.

Laurie from Rotorua said...

Well !! I just can not believe it ..I pressed my blog link and it opened it has not done that for months and months ... wonder what will happen tomorrow. Love your quilt top it is gorgeous.

Pam said...

Absolutely beautiful applique!