Monday, September 19, 2011

Not Quite Quilt in a Day.


Not quite a quilt in a day but one in less than a week, which for me is fast.
I kept the quilting very simple with stitch in the ditch and this design in the plainer border. I am very pleased with how it turned out and I hope the late Laurel would like how I didn't cut up her lovely fabric, but let it speak for itself.

While thinking things mauve and purple I spotted this Tibouchina just as the rain cleared and the sun came out for half an hour. To my eye this is a purple / mauve on the red side of the spectrum where the fabric in my quilt is on the blue side of the spectrum. ( I think they often fight if put together. ) The camera still makes the colour in the quilt look blue not mauve.
 It just shows if there is lots of wet, windy, inside weather; lots of World Cup Rugby games to watch, what I can get done. ( I have made soup and Foccacia bread and orange and date muffins as well - even some housework and Spring cleaning! )
    Leanne I think there might have to be a couple of pukekos ( NZ native bird of the Rallidae family, for those in other countries -[ Porphyrio porhyrio ] - just looked that up! ) ( the ones with the red beaks and the hilarious walk )  get some lead around here too. They are nibbling my silverbeet- okay I am willing to share that BUT I do not want my seeds just coming up pulled out or some flax plants I just replanted being pulled out either. I have found both peahen and pukeko poo in the area so don't want to shoot the wrong culprit. It is surprising just how big a plant they can pull out and how strong their beaks must be. We really like the pukekos but not if they get too destructive.
                                               ***********
                         Tauranga Patchwork and Quilters' Group Exhibition.

For anyone who lives in BOP or Hamilton or close by our exhibition is coming up starting this Friday 23rd;  - for 3 days. Note it is in a NEW venue - not where we have been the last few years. Parking should be plentiful and FREE.

2 comments:

molly said...

Love your Laurel Burch quilt. A week! Impressive! The quilting in the border is very pretty. I have a panel of her horse fabric which I hope to, one day, make into a quilt for my youngest, horse-mad daughter! But it won't be done by next week!

Laurie said...

Hi Ali... what a shame I will miss your expo. I am going to a retreat at Tui Ridge with the embroidery guild from Friday to Sunday ... love the little quilt.
hugs Laurie