Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Blown Around the Mt.





































Yesterday during a break in the weather, ( wind rain hail and sun )I suggested we walk around the Mt. ( mt. Maunganui ). Visitors need to get some exercise and fresh air...... it was very windy and the salt spray goes flying as anyone who has done this walk on a blustery day will know. There are sheltered pockets where it is warm then quite suddenly you round a corner and cop the full blast right in your face - very bracing! I like to walk fast and that is a bit rude if others don't, so I pop in and out with the camera - climb banks or rocks to get photos so, then can walk fast to catch up.
We walked in a clockwise direction starting on the inner harbour side ( facing Tauranga ) and walked around to finish on the ocean beach which now has flash boardwalks and steps.( it is protecting the sandy areas from erosion so is a good idea.) Along the way the perching place for the shags wasn't as smelly as it is in Summer and we saw something we've never seen before. In fact we heard them first - about 5 little penguins swimming near the rocks and climbing in and out. I couldn't get close without frightening them so the photo I took was too far away. I wonder where they popped in from?
The starkness of the rocks and side of the Mount contrasts sharply with all the new development; high rises and flash campers vans; it is always a surprise when you round that last corner. By then we were licking the salt spray off our lips, and the sun was trying to shine. Later it took a while to get a comb through my hair.....it was well tangled and salt sprayed.
In the photo with the board walk fence ( click on it to enlarge ) there are 2 of 3 very cheeky little rabbits who were sunning themselves and nibbling on the grass. When someone walked overhead they disappeared for all of 30 seconds before popping back out bold as brass. Many folk seem to walk by the extra delights like rock pools penguins rabbits without even noticing...wonder what I missed. ( the photo with people in it is left to right DH, my sister and her partner) I was the camera person so miss out . hehe I don't mind.
There did you enjoy your walk? ( I wonder how many of you who are reading this have gone on this walk at some time ?)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely place to be able to take your visitors

Joyce said...

What an interesting walk. How long is it? Maybe if I ever get to NZ...

molly said...

I wanted to be there so badly! and feel the wind and lick the salt from my lips! Thanks for taking us along....

meggie said...

Many moons since I walked that way Ali! Just to the left of the Boardwalk, down on the beach, there used to be donkeys, & you could have donkey rides. We used to go there for our school picnics, & in the photo where those caravans are, there was a playground with swings & see-saws, & a climbing frame. I saw a boy fall & break his arm once. I guess that is why they are no longer there!
And that High rise there used to be an old stucco, single story pub!

Helen said...

I've done that walk, every day for a week while staying nearby. I didn't walk up the Mount though, and I only remember seeing sheep and birds. The photos are really good, I love the rock pool pic.

Tracey Petersen said...

Look at you all rugged up, that is why the penguins were there!

Unknown said...

I have not walked that way until tonight, and it was a lovely walk, no salt on my lips :)

Downunderdale said...

thanks for sharing that, ALi - it is a long long time ago but I enjoyed your walk and the scenery - Dale

Joanna said...

Thank you sooooo much for the photos and description of your walk around The Mount. I am from NZ (Hamilton to be exact) but have lived in the US for the last 8 years. Sometimes I miss NZ so much (friends, family and scenery - oh and food of course!) and your photos took me right back. I have done the walk around The Mount and wish my hubby and kids could do it! I went back to NZ with the kids 3 years ago and we went to The Mount but just to the beach - calm day, no waves, no people, it was lovely.

So thank you again from an ex-pat :)