Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In Need of Encouragement.




I really am in need of encouragement to be strong and positive. You see my lovely Copper Beech tree here with it's new delicate leaves; it was the very first tree I planted when we moved here on April 1st 1978. It has grown to be a grand old lady who gives me much pleasure to sit under on my red seat.I look out onto it from the kitchen and dining room. So? Well we have made the big decision that this is the time to sell our property and I know with certainty I won't be taking that lovely tree with me.
Yesterday we spent an hour with the accountant making sure we were aware of all the pitfalls and requirements of selling an orchard and lifestyle property. Tomorrow morning an acquaintance that we trust, who is a real estate person is coming for the 1st round of details photos etc etc.
Reasons for selling: 1. Our age and ability to do all the work. DH has a few raves lately when something challenges him, ending by yelling," I just can't cope with all this s.... anymore." He's 36 you see...maybe I typed that backwards!
2. The NZ dollar is taking all the profit from growing export crops, while prices to do the growing continue to rise.
3. Demands for more and more compliance ( Eurepgap ) rules aren't going to go away. Carbon footprint and food miles are going to get more and more important.( and other places don't get the correct information about that ....it is political and oil is the thing that really counts! ) NZ is too little.
4. We need to go before any more of our savings are eroded and while we are still sufficiently fit to meet some new challenges.
I could go on but I'm sure that you get the idea. It will be a huge change for us. We are in the top 5% for kiwifruit production off our small orchard. We are proud of that, and our fruit keeps very well and tastes good.( Many NZ orchards are small ) But there are economies in scale. Our avocados are quite biennial with their cropping but I love them.
Okay there are some things I will miss, but my garden is too big , especially since I got the quilting bug. I am getting quite mature to be spending hours with my arms in the air working on kiwifruit vines. ( get someone else to do it all.....yes, we would but can't afford to ) This property has a huge area with creeks ( streams ) and bush ( forest ) and tracks that are nice to have but unproductive that need caring for.
Yesterday afternoon I started doing garden maintenance, so the place will look it's best, so I need to fit in a couple of hours every day to get around it all. We have begun crush tipping the kiwifruit vines, 2nd round, and that will continue for a few weeks. This morning I did time doing extra , extra cleaning of bathroom and one toilet and windows so feel like a navy now. ( that will have to be maintaned till we sell ) So for a change of pace I will go and help with the crush tipping.
On my next post I will tell you all about what we have to sell....like a real estate advert. You have already seen many photos of the property and garden any way. Oh, I also need to pot up a few garden treasures; like things that came from my late Mum's garden, that I can't leave behind.
Sniff sniff.
It may take a couple of months or a year or ......

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Ali what a big decision - so scary - but I wish you well - and really hope you are able to sell quickly and profitably and find a new direction in your life to suit you both - maybe you should run a quilt shop. Maybe once you've sold up you might have the chance to come over to the UK for a visit :o)

Birdydownunder said...

feeling sad for you. But at the same time, I do believe our lives consist of seasons (not necessarily just 4) but we have to move on. I do hope it sells quickly. Keep us posted.

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

I'm so sorry. I can imagine what you are feeling now and you will need lots of courage to go through. I hope you get good money for your property. After that i'm sure you will have a world of opportunities waiting for you. Be strong :)

Val said...

I really feel for you as it is always hard to give up and move on. The worst part when selling up the farm and moving on was the auction to sell the dairy herd of wonderful Jersey cows. Very traumatic! I wish you every success in your sale and hope you find it all goes smoothly and financially well!

Suzi-k said...

Having had to move quite often over the years, I can relate to how you feel, I still miss the grove of silver birches I planted in our 2nd last garden! But if I can give you some advice, take lots of photos now. Sometimes you return to see how a place that you poured heart and soul into is doing, and it is so sad to see if it has been neglected, so hold onto the happy memories, then move on and don't look back. You can look at the photos and remember the place fondly, but always in the past tense. Make a conscious decision that wherever you end up, that is now home, and you will make a daily choice to enjoy it for itself, without trying to compare it to what you left behind. It works, I promise! Hugs.

meggie said...

So sad in one respect, to think of leaving your wonderful garden behind. But as we age, we need a less hectic pace. I hope you find something you can both feel happy about.
Does that Peacock still visit?

Ali Honey said...

Thank you friends, for wise words. Yes Anne, we might get a chance to visit UK. Our younger son has been in London about 6 years and we have not got there yet. He's been home several times luckily.

Yes Sheila, we hope it sells for what we want for it....that's going to be the hard part.

Yes Belem we need a fair price for it.
I do realise selling loved animals would be even more traumatic,Valeri.
I certainly will take even more photos to keep and I know better than to return....move on.
Meggie the peacock never left; he liked it and stayed...it's a year now all alone poor silly, beautiful bird.

Tracey Petersen said...

Generally the most difficult part about making a decision is all of the thought and consideration that comes before it. It sounds like you have already been through that process and emerged with a clear plan to sell. I hope that it doesn't linger on too much for you. There is nothing worse than waiting and waiting feeling in limbo. I'm sure that there is a buyer on their way to you as we type!!

Unknown said...

Even though it is a difficult decision to sell the house and farm I think your reasons justify it. I just hope you will get some profit from the selling.

Deb Hardman said...

Oh this is a big thing for you. I hope it goes well. Selling & moving, &
I hope you can get a good price for your beautiful property. I've enjoyed seeing it here.

I feel like we're working to finish out house so that we can turn around & sell it too. By the time we're done we'll be too old to keep it up.

Rose Marie said...

That is a hard decision, but at the same time, you had a blast with your life and it is now time to move on and try something else that will be interesting and at a slower pace.

loulee said...

I feel sad for you, what a hard decision to make. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you find a new place where you can be as happy and settled as you are in your orchard. (((Best wishes)))

Cher said...

how exciting to face this plan and know what you wish for. It will take so much extra work and hours away from quilting-but, worth it in the long run. I hope all goes well and you are able to sell in a timely fashion for a price that works for you.

molly said...

Lots of luck Ali! What a big change that will be for you. But you are sounding , for the most part, veery positive, about new challenges etc. Good luck...

Shirley Goodwin said...

I am a Mover rather than a Stayer-Put. I'm sure you'll find a great place for this next phase of your life. It's an adventure!

Lynda (Granny K) said...

I understand how you must feel, but sometimes life takes us down a different path. There will be new and wonderful things to enjoy and fond memories also. Have courage, and I hope that all goes really well and smoothly. Best wishes.