I'm so pleased to be able to report that our Kiwifruit fruit crop got picked Wednesday and Thursday. We could find no hail damage to the fruit just some holes , like trapdoors in leaves.(photo 1 ) ( that was so close to being a disaster ).We got about half way on Wednesday before a 5 minute shower came in and wet everything and stopped us; but got finished by early afternoon on Thursday. The ground around the loading area got very soft and the forklift that had little traction got stuck a few times. R just towed it out with one of our tractors.( photo 4 ) Already we have plans in place to extend the metal loading area for next time.
( photo 2 ) shows our young smiling friend picking fruit ( he was the person who gave us those lovely apples - photo 2 or 3 post ago ) (he was one of 22 pickers. )
(Photo 3 ) shows 2 of the tractor drivers taking leaves from the bins and levelling them out.
( photo 5 ) shows R stapling bin cards ( documentation ) to full bins of fruit.
( photo 6 ) shows one of the truck loads leaving; taking the fruit to the coolstore ) - that size truck is only allowed to carry 32 full bins of fruit.
We got 8 bins less than last year but that may pack out to just as many export trays - it depends on the reject rate. The fruit is not being packed straight away it is being kept in Controlled Atmosphere storage till load out - as it usually keeps very well.
Today we are 2 very relieved orchardists - crop # 27 successfully into the coolstore! ( all photos enlarge with clicking )