Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The last Day of the YEAR.

Some Scores .(Leanne likes these. ) From our home grown produce.
 Nuts shelled so far this years. Walnuts = 22.444 kilos.
Macadamia nuts = 3.332 kilos. There is one bag left of unshelled walnuts and the macs are still being picked up and dried.
 We have lots of other crops ready too .Whenever I write a list of what we are currently growing I always forget something, but this photo taken a couple of days ago will show that some of the gardening efforts have paid off. We are currently eating freshly dug agria potatoes; the tomatoes are just beginning to ripen daily; the scarlet runner beans are excelling themselves but will soon be caught up by chef's choice beans; the first row of peas is all but finished the second not far away; the courgettes were slow but now are producing; the strawberries were disappointing but have improved; the avos are picked as needed every few days; the radishes have grown well with all the rain ( over 100 mls since Christmas! ) so did the lettuce - a few too many so some were composted;( from my flower borders ).
 Things we don't use all that we grow are all the herbs ; rhubarb and silver beet.
 We have also got lots of basil for pesto a bit later; capsicum ( slow ) egg plant and sweet corn nearly ready. So at the moment if we had to live solely off our own efforts we would survive.
******
 Books. I have just had my reading list out as I am about to start a new book.
 It weighs 886 grams and has as many pages. It won the Booker prize this year. R gave it to me for Christmas. I will let you know how I find it.
 While I had my list out I went through it and picked out the book I enjoyed ( and learned a lot from ) the most this year..
" The Various Flavours of Coffee," by Anthony Capella. is my winner.
*******
Last Sunday, a very wet day here, we went over the hill ( round it actually ) to visit family in Te Aroha. Along the way I spotted this perfect specimen of a Yucca, on the out skirts of Paeroa. On the way back we stopped so I could take a photo. I really like the form and have many years ago painted one. ( It will die when it finishes flowering )
*******
 Today I think I get to put my sewing machine back on the big bench...who knows I may even get back to some quilting....
Finally ....
Best Wishes for a "Happy New Year."  May 2014 be a productive and pleasant one for all my Bloggy friends.
( I do not make resolutions but have a few goals for the year mainly around giving myself more time for the things I love doing. )
  

9 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

have a great New Year with lots of new opportunities xx

Jennifer said...

Ali, best wishes to you for a wonderful 2014!

Mary said...

Yum, wish I was there to help eat those wonderful veggies!!!!!
Yes, resolutions not really being made today, more like plans with promises around here!

Lovely hearing about your life and land all year dear - please keep blogging. My best wishes for the coming year - good health and much happiness and joy for you and your family.

Happy 2014!

Mary

Helen said...

That is an amazing flower. Your photo would make a great quilt. Happy New Year.

Janice said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year. Here's hoping it is a good one for everyone.

Pam said...

I can't imagine how you have time to do anything creative! But you certainly do. Thanks for the ruby wedding wishes, and happy new year!

Pam said...

Re your veggie question - my standbys are lentil loaf (quick and easy), chick pea and potato croquettes (a bit of a fiddle but I make industrial quantities and freeze them), soufflés and macaroni cheese and any kind of pulses with tomatoes and any veg. I often use tins if it's just for me, eg a tin of chick peas and a tin of ratatouille is quick and easy, but you could almost as easily soak and cook dried beans of any sort and mix them with roasted vegetables. Happy to send you some recipes by email if you like!

Françoise said...

Happy New Year to you and your family!
Love the yucca flower.

Nicky said...

Belated Happy New Year Ali! Hope 2014 is off to a great start. Your garden is producing amazing results, good on you both! I will be interested to hear how you enjoy The Luminaries, I've looked at it a few times in the book store but not sure if I can still cope with a book that long...