Friday, December 31, 2010

Dear Diary.....

Do You keep a diary?  A book like this or an on line diary or a phone one? I find it essential.  Last year I left purchasing a new diary till too late and stuggled all year with a hard covered ring bound one that annoyed me. It wouldn't open easily and lie flat so for this year I got one early that is distinctive but also asthetically pleasing to use. It is soft with a wipeable distinctively patterned plastic cover . ( it has lots of blank pages at the back as well as the usual things one expects in a diary ) Being a ring binder pages can be removed too.
      I don't write" Dear Diary, " type entries, mine is a working document. It is a reminder for important dates, meetings; events and lists. ( yes, I do keep some other similar ones on the computer ) but this is much more portable, almost always with me if I am not at home.(like a bag and keys and money etc )   Unusually, I have written quite a bit in it already as I am planning for things happening later in the year. In 2011 we are going on our big holiday. Quite a commom happening for some people but not us. We have never been to UK ( or Ireland or France or Singapore ) before, but in 20011 we are going....tickets have been paid for! So every time something springs to mind that I might wish to have information on while away I am adding it to this "must not be mis placed book." It's still 6 months till I need it all but I know how quickly time can fly by so, I'm not leaving anything to chance.
 I love and use lists . I enjoy keeping records. I love doing research, so this fits right in with my habits. I do NOT make New Year Resolutions.  R keeps a diary for orchard purposes and he keeps weather / rainfall records too. We have to keep some orchard records that are auditable .
* I suppose writing a blog like this is also a diary of sorts, with photos , and some but not all events and thoughts being recorded. Just one of the places I keep records of my quilting and handcraft projects.
                                    *****************************
        It is supposed to be raining but isn't so I have been watering newly planted things ( no surer way to make it rain ).
                                          ****************************************
We have some lovely calendars to put up for 2011, with fabulous photos, maybe more on that for another post.
                                            *****************************************

                                May I wish You all a Happy, successful 2011!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love the cupcake diary! Wow, a trip overseas....something to really look forward to!

Leanne said...

oooh how exciting a trip.
A friend is in Ireland at the moment & she is sharing places she is visiting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burren

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/TheCliffs.aspx

http://www.guide-to-castles-of-europe.com/bunratty-castle.html

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ireland/rock-of-cashel

Maybe there are some place you both may like to visit to pop in your diary.

Love Leanne

Shirley Goodwin said...

Happy New Year, Ali! I also have bought a book for 2011, which is labelled "Cunning Plans" - who could resist that? It's got a soft leather-like cover but unfortunately doesnn't lie flat so I may have to beat it into submission. It's more of a journal than a diary. I kept a journal every day on my trip overseas - hope your forthcoming trip is wonderful.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a lovely diary, and especially if you are going on a trip, you want to record your fun for remembrance sake. Since I'm not going anywhere, my blog is my diary, and my computer calendar keeps me organized (with a regular one on the wall for big things).

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Have a wonderful year - your trip sounds very exciting!! Enjoy the planning stage - your cupcake diary is very sweet.

Meggie said...

Something special to look forward to is wonderful.
A diary is going to be essential for me this year, as I struggled with all the appointment dates last year. A phone appointment, hasitly scribbled on a scrap of paper often gets lost!

Meggie said...

I forgot to say Happy New Year!

StevenHWicker said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Outdoor lounge suite nz