Sunday, April 16, 2006


Family staying so no computer time yesterday and the only sewing I got done was hand sewing while watching Super 14 Rugby on TV last night. Our area team Chiefs played Stormers from Capetown SA, and won by 10. The game was the 1st played at the Blue Chip Stadium at Mt.Maunganui, which now has covered stands. There was 16,500 present.
Earlier in the day we went to the Rotary Annual Book Fair; there was a huge crowd which thinned as it got nearer to lunchtime. No chance to get around all of it as there was 30,000 second hand books. All of us came away with something, some more than others. The only rule was make sure you don't buy back a book we donated! My buy of the day was a very old book "100 Patchwork Blocks," printed on Newsprint, but the content is good. The previous owner had left instructions inside the front cover as to which blocks were best and which a beginner could tackle ; all written in pencil in lovely cursive handwriting; so I think for 50cents I bought a much loved quilters book. It's value is as much in it's primitive form as anything.
The handsewing I am doing is tiny squares left from making a table runner. I will make blocks to fill a scrap quilt when I have enough. As they were already neatly cut I'm not going to waste them. Above is the table runner now being used on the big coffee table in the lounge. It was all hand pieced as the squares are just 1 inch.

No comments: