Monday, June 09, 2008

Sew and Cook.





























Many other "Quilty Bloggers, " have lovely sewing rooms. I don't, BUT as you can see in this photo sitting at my huge Corian kitchen bench with the wood fire going behind me I can happily sew blocks and watch the Focaccia bread I am cooking at the same time! Both the bench and the dining table I cut on are very solid and make good work surfaces. The only draw back is when I have visitors coming for a meal I have to return all my gear and machine to the big double doored cupboard where they stay when not in use.
A chill wind is sweeping up the country, but the sun is shining now ( its 11 degrees c )and it really isn't bad compared to the South Island where they have been having snow ( see Shirley's photos ). Leaves are everywhere I look. Deciduous trees = leaves so live with it.( they have all got to be mowed up or picked up at some stage! )
As DH is going into hospital to have a hernia repair ( this Friday 13th ! )and won't be able to do anything heavy for a while he has been busy putting strong wooden edges around the vegetable garden beside the new grass and also along the length of my long flower and shrub border. That is so good and will mean one less garden job to do now - no more keeping the edges neat with a spade. A small area had to be regrassed beside it so it all looks a little bare but will soon fill in. I planted some wee new blue pansies and yellow polyanthus but they look lost at the moment.
Other bright spots in the garden are my Dawn Chorus vireya rhododendron in the blue pot and around the side of the house the red Kangaroo Paws are flowering away happily and casting interesting shadows on the white wall late in the afternoons.
I have only just found ( from Meggie's blog ) the list of Quilters' Blogs ( Quilting Bloggers ) that already have long lists for me to explore ( oh boy one can spend hours doing this ! ) and am delighted to find some more Kiwi Quilters.
If I don't have to be outside it's lovely weather to be inside with a pot of hot homemade soup, some crusty bread and a quilt to sew. I'll enjoy it while I have the chance!

9 comments:

Tracey Petersen said...

It looks like a lovely cosy spot to sew.

Hope your husband bounces back quickly.

Unknown said...

It feels very strange even after all this time reading southern hemisphere blogs like yours to be reading about snow when we're just starting to take our cardis off up here. Hope DH's operation is straightforward and tell him to be very careful and not do too much too soon. The flowers are beautiful

molly said...

I went to have a look too at that quilting bloggers site! One could easily lose an entire day/week on there, so I left! Too much to do . Your bread and soup and quilting by the fire sound so cozy....

meggie said...

Good luck to your DH for his op.
I can get lost in that Quilting Bloggers for hours! There are so many nice quilts to see, so many interesting things to read... so little time...

Your flowers are lovely.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Hope the hernia op goes well. And glad you liked all my snow! It is such a novelty for me, having mainly lived in Auckland and Bay of Plenty.

Deb Hardman said...

I can see a great advantage to sewing & baking in the same room. Your feet probably don't get cold like mine do!

& on bread baking days I don't get much quilting done because I'd have to run upstairs to knead & check on the bread, then downstairs to quilt, all the time trying not to get flour from my clothes on the quilt. My bread takes about 8 hrs start to finish.I love making it though, & my DH makes a fuss if he runs out & has to BUY bread.

Françoise said...

Hope everything goes well for your DH.
You've got a lovely place for sewing. I sew in a corner of the living room. It used to be the kids' play corner. Now, it's mine!
:-)

Unknown said...

I hope the surgeon on your DH will go well and he will be a good patient not doing too much.

Angelines Artero said...

Beautiful blog. Could you put a translator in your blog? Regards from Spain