Monday, July 21, 2008

Finished!





Last Thursday I collected the fabric for the final wide border around my quilt. I got 2.5 metres as I wanted to cut the outside border lengthwise in single strips with no stretch. I will also use some of it for the binding. That will leave quite a bit over but that will get used sometime else. Friday I washed the fabric and got it dry by ironing and hanging near the fire, then I completed sewing on the binding by lunchtime. That meant I was able to take it up the road to Jenny at Stitchworks to discuss the quilting of it. Yeah! ( she stocks wide batting and very wide backing fabrics)So now I just need to be patient for maybe 2 months till it comes back.
On Saturday quite a good number of ladies from my P & Q group ( here are just 2 of them in the photo )turned out to spend the day either working on their own projects or making tiny quilts for donation to SANDS. (Stillborn and Newborn Death Support ). They put the quilts with other things called Moses Baskets.We had a fun day sewing, talking, eating and generally being together encouraging each other's efforts. Later 7 of us went out for an evening meal. I have almost completed 2 small quilts for SANDS - pale blue being the main colour in these 2 as I had it spare and it is a lovely soft colour. (photo )They are relatively quick to complete ( mine being 20" square )and a good way to try and use up small fabric scraps. I am going to continue to make these and to complete anything else that calls me from my sewing cupboard. I don't really have many things to finish but will check and see. Good excuse to go and rummage around looking at fabric and the odd magazine in there . LOL.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that final border fabric - so rich, just finishes it all off a treat!

molly said...

Those little quilts are cute, and for such a good cause. Our guild makes them for the neonatal nursery. Shame to say, I haven't made one yet---must get cracking!

Unknown said...

It is much better to find a magazine than finishing an old UFO.

Andrea said...

Well done - the dark purple works really well. The little quilts are sweet too.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is really gorgeous! I love it. Would never have imagined that it would turn out like that when you first started it. Love the purple and green together. Well done.
The SANDS Quilts are cute too.

meggie said...

Final border is perfect. It is going to be a very special quilt when it is finished.
I have tried to find who makes those Sands quilts here- though they don't call them that here. Thus far, I have drawn blanks, but I will keep asking.

Helen said...

The final border looks great. Wish I could have attended your sewing day. Sounds like a real treat!

Laurie said...

Hi Ali

I am from Rotorua, at present residing in Dubai UAE, I have just joined Quilting Bloggers and have found your blog so interesting and great to bring a little of home to me here besides all your great quilts.