Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Winds ( of Time ) Blow Strongly.

Always at this time of the year we get winds. Sometimes strong destructive winds. Yesterday was like that. At times it was hard to stand upright, especially if you had a big head and not much support.... like these cerise ixias. 
 It was difficult to walk as my friend D (from P & Q )and her friend J who came to visit found out. Every Saturday afternoon D goes and collects J from the home she lives at and takes her on an outing. J can't remember D's name or that it is Saturday. J likes gardens and colour( so do I ). I had invited D to bring J out to visit again and we would walk down the orchard and pick oranges for her to take back and share with the other residents where she lives. It was an appalling day weather wise but we did it anyway. Several times we went backwards instead of forwards as gust of wind raced around corners and through gaps in the hedges. J says she likes to walk ....but is oh so slow.  ( and she stops and forgets to get going  again) She held the bag open while D picked oranges into it. On the way back I carried a big bag around my neck for support and D and J carried the other bag. I suggested they thread the handles of their bag through  the umbrella  and each hold an end. This proved a great idea cause then J had to walk at the same ( slower than usual ) pace we walked. Usually if you want her to walk with you you need to thread your arm through hers.
 We came back and washed and bagged the oranges then had afternoon tea. That's the sort of thing J can't remember - did she have it already? J knows she had 2 brothers ( still has ) and 2 sons but gets their names mixed up. She knows she was a teacher once.
 She always says I think I have been here before, which is now true cause she has, but was not so on her first visit.
 I said to her," I think you enjoyed coming to our quilt exhibition last Saturday ?"  D went and got her for a couple of hours and she sat on a chair by the sales table and just watched.
" Yes, I did, " she replied. " I like the colours  in the quilts. So I went home and made a couple. " ( not true )
 J remembers to say please and thank you and appears to be happy with her lot. I hope she is. The last 3 times I have been with her she has worn exactly the same clothes. I hope someone washes them for her or reminds her to change. She may be younger than D and myself. I must find out from someone else. It serves as a lesson in humility for me and makes be very thankful for being fully mobile and having all my senses ( well, I think I do )
 Unlike my little pea plants which are self supporting and withstanding the strong winds ...
... Some more vulnerable need help.

 *****
 Other garden photos I took this morning. 

 Nasturtiums keeping low to the ground under the leaves are surviving.
 Arctotis have new flowers every few days and always look cheerful.
 The NZ Rata bushes are out and looking lovely as there is little in their needle like flowers for the wind to catch hold of.
 All the orchids have fairly strong stems and seem untroubled by the winds that blow.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

J is lucky to have friends like D and you to think of her. Your flower pics are lovely! We have been having quite windy weather lately, hot dry winds which really play havoc in the garden.

Mary said...

I enjoyed walking with you and your friends. Must be lovely being able to pick your own oranges. Hopefully those who really need help as the mind wears out all have kind friends, if not family, who care about them and assist them as you do.

The flowers look beautiful and hopefully survive the strong winds.

Happy day dear.
Mary