Monday, December 10, 2018

Some Bright Things.

Some of the things I have planted in the new garden are rewarding us with bright displays. This dahlia Holly Houston being the biggest show off.
 The Golden Wedding Rose my sister gave me ( that spent the first 6 months in a bucket at her place till she could safely get it to us ) sat for a while became acclimatised then grew. These are its first 3 flowers. It has only a mild scent.
Looking out from inside, this corner garden is doing well. I pulled out the box hedging along its front so I could grow some flowers.

 I  started a herb garden along the back wall within easy access of the kitchen even if it is raining. So far there are 2 mint ,1 parsley, 2 sage, a rosemary and a thyme.  Some basil seeds I planted in the gaps are just through.

 Sorry this is sideways.
****
 The felt ball has gained  2 more motifs.


 Just 3 to go now.
 Over the weekend I planted 2 new blueberry plants. A variety I haven't had before - very large berries, called Oneal. This morning R has been making me a bird proof cage around them with an opening part so I can pick the expected crop if they thrive.

 The house is filled with the scent of Christmas lilies. They all fell over in the wind so I have been picking them. It can become a bit heady, but along with the smell of fruit mince pies cooking it suits me.


4 comments:

Janice said...

It’s lovely to see your garden starting to take shape. Beautiful flowers. I love seeing your felt balls progress. I wonder what your next sections will be?

Pam said...

I wonder what Christmas lilies are? Not something we have here... or at least not at Christmas! Hellebores are known here as Christmas roses because they bloom in winter.

betty-NZ said...

I love your flowers!! Your dahlias are earlier than mine--mine are just budding.
I dug a new section of garden this year, too. I imagine it won't be long before my self seeding flowers fill all the blank spaces!

loulee said...

I would love to have the scent of lilies in the house, but I'd have to go buy them. My poor lilies are very tall, taller then me. But sadly the flowers are still small and tight green buds. The weather this year is not helping them along at all.