Thursday, April 13, 2023

Plenty of feijoas and walnuts .

It's Autumn so collecting the fallen feijoas is a daily task. When it has been windy or raining or both there is over 100 at a time to get. They have been being distributed to friends and family and friends of friends. With feijoas there seems to be no middle ground. You like them or hate them. You have none or lots.
 Yesterday  the Grandsons helped me pick up the walnuts. Smaller is in the front and bigger grandson is in the photo. ( where's Wally situation )  The walnut is now quite a large tree.
 Previously I have been laying the collected nuts to dry on an old drop cloth outside  in the sun for a week. That doesn't work when it's raining so I have them lined up on trays  along the window sills inside ( much easier as long as there aren't too many )


 4 year old G/ son wanted some knitted slippers for kindy - ones that would be good for sliding on the wooden floors! 
 I had to adapt a baby bootee pattern using bigger needles and 4 ply to make some to fit. He was happy. 7 year old g/son is now knitting at school and comes to me for help with casting on and off.

Although my dahlias  required quite a lot of tying up and staking they have been a delight for weeks and weeks. These white pompom ones  have long  stems for picking.
 

3 comments:

Pam said...

Lovely! Slugs eat my dahlias, alas.

Chookyblue...... said...

what does a feijoa taste like?
the dahlias are beautiful....

molly said...


I'm amazed at the size of your walnut tree Ali. Youngest Son, who likes to experiment growing different plants, trees and shrubs, planted a walnut tree for us almost ten years ago. It's the last thing to put out leaves in Springtime and I will be amazed if it ever produces a walnut. We're just happy that it's still alive!

I've never had luck with dahlias. Bought one in a pot this Spring (hope springs eternal!)and California Girl, who has a thumb just as green as her brother's, assured me that if I did such-and-such and so-and-so it would thrive. Well. It didn't. I was ready to give up and use my nice ceramic pot for something more co-operative. But the OC took it in hand and has been nursing it along. It may yet survive! Those white ones of yours are stunning.

And as a person whose feet are perennially cold I covet those slippers