Monday, August 07, 2023

Not quite Spring Yet.

 Lots of frosty  mornings. Not quite Spring yet. Many signs of it with daffodils,  cherry blossom, daphne ,Pieris and  Freesias ( what a perfume ) all brightening up the garden


. The final roses are pruned and a few late blooms sit in a vase.


 There is a planting of Pieris either side of the driveway

****
 I am making a variety of new cushion covers and found this idea in an Australian Homespun 
magazine from Oct 2022. Annorina made this slow stitching cushion by cobbling together Liberty scraps.


 I had floral scraps but not Liberty. I can do 2 or 3 rows of the big quilting using 3 strands of embroidery cotton in off white, before my left thumb aches and I need to stop. I'll get there. Its a new idea and I haven't done any hand quilting for ages. The big stitch size suits my eyesight. My first rows were not well marked and I have wobbled  so I might redo them at the end.











3 comments:

Janice said...

It’s so nice to see the early signs of spring. We have our first daffodil in bloom today and the daphne smells divine. It sounds like your garden is further advanced than ours. We will miss most of our bulbs, as we will be travelling for a few weeks. Your fabrics for your cushion are so sweet. I’m sure you will do a fabulous job with your quilting.

molly said...


With all your beautiful plantings it seems to me you could open up your own botanical garden - Ali's Gardens. Admittance by appointment only so you could fit garden visitors into your sewing schedule! I love your pillow project. I'll be watching for further photos as I also need to make a long cushion for a recently acquired bench. I love the idea of big stitch quilting as my eyesight also is not what it once was!

Pam said...

Very pretty cushion! Don't get spring too soon; we're quite happy with summer at the moment, thank you...