Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just Scraps.




This may seem a strange photo to put on my blog...but what do you do with your scraps - the really little ones? I used to throw them out; but not lately. I collect them all in a bag for a lady who uses any cotton thread or fabric scraps to make paper. Quite nice thick quality writing and note paper.
I just had to show you this photo of a tree I see sometimes when I walk on this nearby road. The village Smithy could definitely stand under this one; a very old large Chestnut.
Other scraps.
*I handed in the quilt I finished for my friend J. ( with the starfish and fish quilting )One of the ladies is going to deliver all the finished quilts to her at Tamihere.
* I have just updated the Security protection on this computer, for another 2 years....it's like watching paint dry - but if you don't watch, it throws in curly ones if you turn your back.
* A nerd writes a column in our local paper and he was warning against putting too much STUFF in your Blog side bars, as it takes folk especially those on dial up far too long ( if at all ) to be able to open your web page. I have very little compared to some other blogs so I hope I am not wasting any one's time ( LOL ).
*As I am getting so little sewing time at present I snatch a few minutes to cut out hand projects for sewing at night. I have just completed a set of 8 little Christmas fabric coasters to go with 2 larger ones in a set. I am working on a really tiny fabric basket ( smaller even than the original ) and am sewing the 1.5 inch squares by hand.( also part of the don't waste scraps strategy.)
I'm off for a walk now. Yesterday was a huge, huge garden ( tree cutting etc ) effort here. Whew. Today I have to have some time out and do some sedentary jobs. Gosh the weekend disappears fast. Enjoy yours!

10 comments:

molly said...

I feel guilty when I throw out scraps....What a great way to use them up and help someone else with their hobby!

Lovely chestnut tree......

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I also keep all my little pieces - just in case!! Making paper out of fabric sounds very interesting.

Unknown said...

The idea of paper made from fabric scraps sounds lovely - the ultimate in recycling :o)

meggie said...

I agree that is a good way to reuse scraps. As my grandmother used to say, Waste not, Want not.

That tree is just beautiful, & I love the way they fenced around it.

Unknown said...

It is great to have someone to use your scraps. The tree is BIG.

Holly said...

Making paper out of thread and fabric scraps is quite interesting. I've never heard of it before. I guess our US currency is a combination of paper and denim. Your lawn, garden and flowerbeds look immaculate. Thanks for the lovely comment at my place :)

Nellie's Needles said...

You and those who have visited my blog know what I do with those tiny scraps, or "orts" as the British call them. They are my main pallet to work with.

Quite awhile ago someone from Australia requested that I restrict the number of posts per page because it took a frustratingly long time to load my blog. I limited it to 3 posts and hope that I'm no longer frustrating anyone "out there".

Tracey Petersen said...

I have never seen or heard of anyone making paper from fabric scraps. I'm very interested to know how you do that!

Paula, the quilter said...

I know that one uses cotton linter to make paper but this is such a great idea. Kudos to this paper maker. I don't think I have too much on my sidebar, at least nobody has complained to me about it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like to use the little scraps for ATCs and postcards. It is hard for me to throw them out. Making paper sounds like a great idea, especially if it is someone else making the paper!