Sunday, March 18, 2012

Making a Raffle Quilt.

Yesterday 16 of our Patchwork and Quilting Group got together to make a quilt for our Exhibition later in the year. Our usual rooms were not available so we sewed in the sewing room at Aquinas College. One of our members is the teacher there. It was a lovely light roomy place to work.

 Some ladies only spent a short time there but many worked from 9.30 till 5 and it's still not finished. It takes a lot of womanhours to make a quilt, even when.the parts for the block were already cut out. There remains  a little more sewing on the bright pink appliqué petals ( that coloured thread ran out ) and for the blocks to be assembled. Of course it still has to be quilted but we have an expert in our group to do that for us.
 This shows how the 49 blocks ( 7 X 7 ) will fit together. I like the bright colours and I think it will make a popular raffle. Thanks to all the ladies who helped and to P who wasn't present but sent along a tray of muffins for morning and afternoon tea. They were delicious and much appreciated. I had a rhubarb one in the morning and a blueberry one in the afternoon. It helped the day immensely.
 I will show a photo of the quilt when it is complete.
 *******
In the vegetable garden we have had to pull out the finished corn plants which I mowed into submission with the lawn mower then put in to the compost bin and the tomato plants all got carefully removed and destroyed to try a confine the spread of blight.
 My capsicums are ripening . I have red and yellow ones.  I am still picking beans, courgettes, cucumbers potatoes, sping onions and  silverbeet and of course we have hardly started on the 2 pumpkin varieties. When I went for a walk last evening I noticed the first walnuts have dropped, so that's another job for me over the next month - one well worth doing despite the bending.




7 comments:

Jennifer said...

What an interesting quilt design! I'm not usually one for pink, but I like that. How much land do you have? It's obviously enough to have a great vegie garden.

TG's resting place said...

Was a great day, and I can't wait to see it finished!!

Laurie said...

Looks like a lovely project... finished it will be such great bright colours...Laurie

Pam said...

I'm not a purple/lilac person but I like it too.

Diane-crewe said...

beautiful blocks, shame the thread ran out, but, you still seem to have got loads done xx

Meggie said...

I love the bright colours of that quilt. I am sure it will be a winner.

Meggie said...

I love the bright colours of that quilt. I am sure it will be a winner.