Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quilt from the Parts Department.

It's damp today. We don't need more rain but I love catch up days! I've been to the supermarket and Farmers Sustainable Meats where I get lovely free range eggs and some meat. I have sorted books to go to the Rotary Used Book Sale at Easter and done some ironing, so now I am free to play on the computer and the sewing machine.
 Above is the little quilt I am making while I decide what bigger project I want to get into next.
 Some years ago I got a book called Collaborative Quilting by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston. I don't make quilts in their style but I did borrow from them the term, " parts department." This little quilt is being made of parts from  my parts department. ( mainly kept in sorted ziplock bags according to their size and shape.) They are all lying flat and neatly cut so are ready to go. That makes for some quite quick construction. The panel in the centre I won in a Chinese auction at club and I am using it to decide my palette. I have an unwell friend in mind who just happens to love muted pinks and greens so maybe that is who I am making a lap quilt for. She could use it when she goes for treatment. (I've got to finish it first. )
                                                        ********* 
* How lovely to have some new folk visiting here. Welcome to Tina ( who I know ) and Ulla in Finland and Diane and Berenice in Brazil.

* I have a question about Go Baby  (die cutters.) Our club might buy one and I am assigned to looking into prices etc. for one and the dies. Does anyone who already has one have any problems with it? I think there are other brands but maybe not in NZ yet.

* I have been making Lavash again. I was calling them Lavosh as that is what Annabelle Langbien called them in her book. I was doing a little research on line on making your own cracker type biscuits and found the correct spelling there.

* Jennifer. Hi Wombat! You asked how much land we had. 27 acres or 10.98 hectares. Some is in native bush and scrub and streams, some is orchard, some is large garden and house and quilte a lot is in surrounds shelter hedges and service lanes where we drive around blocks of kiwifruit ( have to have good access to the fruit blocks for tractors when picking and spraying. )
                                        *******
 Someone sent me a very useful email telling a story of neighbours who did exactly the right thing when a bloke got badly burned. After cooling the area with clean cold water( sprayed on ) they slathered his burnt face in lightly beaten egg white. It has lots of collagen and forms a seal over the burn keeping the air out. Ambulance staff praised their action when they arrived. Apparently firemen are now being trained to do this. It takes the pain away and seals the area...so next time I get even a small burn I am going to try it out.
                                                              ******
 Off to sew now!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shall keep the egg idea in mind if it's ever needed! 27 acres is a good sized area. When your little quilt is done it will be very sweet, and I'm sure your friend will love it.

Jennifer said...

Shall keep the egg idea in mind if it's ever needed! 27 acres is a good sized area. When your little quilt is done it will be very sweet, and I'm sure your friend will love it.

loulee said...

I think the egg thing was me. I also used it on little bottoms, to prevent nappy rash.

Diane-crewe said...

I am sure your friend will love the colours and thought that went into your gift x

Meggie said...

Here is hoping you never need to use the tips on burns, but it is handy knowledge.
Who knew about baby bottoms and eggs?!
I love that panel, how pretty.

carole brungar said...

Your little quilt is gorgeous Ali!
Good to know about the egg white too.

Pam said...

I once put egg white on my baby's bottom to prevent nappy rash and her skin came up bright red with yellow spots! Ooops.