Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Some of Everything.

There has been a mix of wet and fine days so I have made 2 more flower blocks when inside.
 This is # 17 ( of 24 ). I have made all the small size  ( 12 x10" ) , all the large size (20 x 10" ), all the (14 x10" )  then this one is 18 x 10" and  there are a few 16 x 10 " to do yet. I have now made 18 out of the 24.
****
 Yesterday the electrician came to do quite a few jobs we had been saving up. He put surge protectors on the computer plug and one on the metre board. He fixed the flex on my hot water urn ( which gets used about once a year when we have big crowds here - it is very old - it was my MIL before me ) but still heats a large quantity of water and can be set up outside or in the shed. He replaced 3 down lights in the kitchen over the sink, which have given trouble ( individually ) ever since they were installed 10 years ago. They don't use that sort any more  - I know why!
 These look good ( but what about that for a boring photo? ) They showed me I need to get up and wash fly spots off the ceiling!  Hopefully these will not fall down and hit the dish washing person on the head!
 Anyway I am grateful for the 2 hours work he did and hope things are safer round here now.
***
 Arctotis flamingo did the best of all the ones I planted in this sunny but windy spot at the top of a steep bank. They open when the sun is on them.( and keep on and on  flowering as long as they are dead headed )
 Also pretty at the moment are these very small delicate flowers which came from a cottage garden mixed seed pack I was given. I don't know what they are? They  seem to seed readily so are popping up in a few places.
 Meanwhile in the garden shed my tray of zinnias have ALL come up and are doing so well. None of the larkspurs in the tray next to them have appeared ( yet - I am still hopeful )
 Down in the wild flower triangle some have appeared. I am going to have to change the bird netting cover as it is too thick in places and squashing the seedlings - have to work on that...but it is encouraging that at least one variety I planted have germinated.
 Speaking of encouraging results my radish seeds that pop up in about 4 days have to be the speediest ones yet.
****
 R has got a head cold.( He went for a medical appointment last week and came back with a cold - he hasn't been anywhere else ) I am going to great lengths to try and avoid catching it!
We need to spend the rest of the days doing office work so that's exciting.
*****
 I haven't mentioned what I have been reading for a while. Having struggled my way through 2 ( hard to digest ) books of a historical textbook nature ( Limeys by David Harvie  and The Victorians by A N Wilson ) I needed some light relief so am reading Blue Eyed Boy by Joanne Harris.( anyone else read it? ) I find it interesting that certain authors have recurring themes in their books. With Joanne she has characters who have unusual or extra powers or senses. This time it is synaethesia. I have seen TV programmes on this subject too and I imagine it must be hard for folk with it to realise others aren't  seeing or smelling what they can. I am halfway through this book so don't know if I am recommending it yet or not.
 The 3 books I have mentioned are all ones I got from the Used Book Sale at Easter time.
 Oh, there it is raining again. Just as well I spent all afternoon working in the orchard yesterday as I won't be today.  I better get to doing the banklink I guess. Then I have some even more boring kiwifruit reading, sorting,  filing etc to tackle. What fun!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

you can send some of that rain to us, it would be very welcome! Pretty flowers, both in the garden and on fabric.

molly said...

I think your garden, and your green thumb, are amazing....I have a talent for killing green things in spite of better intentions! I have some beach reading in hand, also by a Joanna --- Trollpe --- The Best of Friends. I'd rather be walking on the beach but at the moment it's raining...

Bubble said...

Hi Ali
I love reading your blog! Nancy has colour synthesia. Every number has a colour. The power of the brain is awesome. We are all programmed uniquely.
Lots of love
Sal xx