Sunday, February 17, 2019

Weekend Project.

The only thing written on the calendar for this weekend was Friday evening dinner at friend's place. 9 of us ate, drank and were very talkative and loud. We had a thoroughly good time as we always do in each other's company.

 I allowed myself to spend as much time as I wished during the weekend on a new garden project....hampered only by the extreme heat we are experiencing. 31 Degrees  C yesterday.
 This is the area I am working on. Having already hand weeded it 3 times in the 7 months we have been here I decided it will become  garden & hence worth weeding and watering and caring for. A long narrow strip. Dotted along it are some small box plants - not my favourites but they can stay for now to give a bit of height. Overhanging it at this end is a very nice queen protea which was in flower when we arrived last July.
 I measured out 20" from the wall all the way along , then put in marker sticks and dotted a line with paint aerosol to make sure I spaded it out straight and even.
 I made an excursion to the Garden centre to buy plants as an incentive to get stuck in.
 This annoying little weed ( in front of the blue pot ) that I didn't have in my last garden is the main offender that has to come out. Anyone know it's name? Grows flat on the ground and has pink stems.

 Progress . I was alright till the shade seen here disappeared...I got overheated and am taking a spell.
 I will show the finished garden and new plants tomorrow or when it's done.
 I am happy in my garden, I find it a contemplative time , but do sometimes have a tendency to overdo it...especially in the heat.

3 comments:

Mary said...

The garden. . . . . . . a thing of beauty and a job forever!
Enjoy your efforts but be careful in the heat.
I spent time pruning my gigantic fig tree on Friday - then the rains came. Daffodils blooming and even some blossoms appearing - ready for Spring!

Mary -

loulee said...

I'm sure it will be lovely once you are done. You do seem to have green fingers.

Janice said...

The garden bed will be lovely along there. Take it easy in the heat, it doesn't matter if it takes a couple of days to do.I'm looking forward to seeing your vision.