Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Bit Saucy!




Can you smell that? After 2 batches of chutney we started making sauce. DH helped by finely chopping the onions while I did the tomatoes. Later we both sieved, till our arms fell off but look at it now; yummy! 3.5 litres of red sunshine. Eldest son put in his order when I last spoke to him on the phone, so we may need to keep making batches...it's quite time consuming....but we do have tomatoes coming out our ears this year! I need to replenish the stocks of vinegar first.
I've been sewing too. See the 1st 4 piles of 10 hexagons, ready for me to machine quilt. I'm still getting blocks ready for Friday's P & Q meeting as well. Just as well it rained so I don't have to be in the orchard this afternoon.

5 comments:

molly said...

Chutney looks great! Want my order too?! Do you sew your hexagons together by hand first, and then quilt them? Having trouble imagining that you would quilt them individually first....but if I'd paid attention in class [to details in your previous posts] I probably wouldn't be asking.....

meggie said...

Oh Yum! Love homemade chutney and sauce.

And yum in a quilting sense to your lovely bright colours in the hexagons.

Diana said...

Your homemade chutney looks lucious! I also love your growing pile of hexagons.

ForestJane said...

Both the hexagons AND the chutney look great!

Suzi-k said...

I've been thinking of reviving my long dormant domestic skills and making a few batches of jam and chutney, as I used to do when we lived on a smallholding many years ago. What do you find is the best type of vinegar to use? I have bottles and bottles of different ones standing unused, because I find so many are really astringent, when you use them in anything they grab your throat.