Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mt. Maunganui Beach.


















A few more photos for Meggie and those who have visited the Mt. and beach. ( and maybe tempt those who haven't )The only change you see really is in the type of building there now.

The first photo is looking along the beach to the Mt. The others are taken from the track that winds around the base of the Mt. ( now supposed to be called Mauao it's Maori name ) The sheep which graze on parts of the Mount are controlled in small paddocks but can get down and eat seaweed on the little beach around the harbour channel side. In that photo you can look across the water to Tauranga.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

The beach looks so inviting - you could have been really cruel and called your post 'Wish you were here?'. The answer from me would definitely have been yes.

meggie said...

Oh Ali, thankyou!! I loved those pics. I did a post a while ago about the beaches, in fact I have done 2 or 3, as it was so much a part of our lives when we were young.
On my last visit my cousin's husband took us for a drive right around both sides of the beaches, & the tall buildings, & huge houses, certainly are very different from the cottages of my young years- a lot of them were shacks!

And another cousin lives in Papamoa, where it used to be just windblown grasses, & sandy hillocks- & is now dense suburbia.

Shelina said...

It makes me feel warm and cozy looking at these beautiful pictures of the beach.

Diana said...

That beach looks so nice after fighting with ice and sleet for the past few days! It is so beautiful there!

Helen said...

Well, those photos of "The Mount" bring back memories of my (much) younger days when all we wanted to do was lie on that beach and bake in the sun. I lost a jersey (which I had tied around my waist) coming down the steep side of the mount. Why I had a jersey I don't know.

molly said...

Beautiful blues....sky and water. Makes me want to take my shoes off and paddle along the water's edge...we don't live near the beaches that Florida is famous for, unfortunately.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks for the photos that are indeed quite tempting and inviting... it's quite cold and wintry here this evening. I long for summer breezes!